Summer Camp Scholarship Opportunities
for Dike-Newell & Fisher Mitchell Students
The Bath Elementary PTA board recognizes that the joys of summer camp should be accessible to all children, and understands that for many families the cost can be a great financial burden. This was the motivation for their application to the Davenport Trust Fund who generously donated funds for 1-week summer camp scholarships for families who are experiencing a financial hardship. The PTA is extremely grateful to the Davenport Trust Fund and the following camp programs for their generous support of our elementary school children and their families for a fifth year. The following is a description of the application process for a limited amount of 2013 Summer Camp scholarships.
• Who is eligible?
- Currently enrolled students (2012-2013 school year) at Dike-Newell and Fisher Mitchell.
- Financial need determined based on free & reduced lunch program guidelines.
- If funds allow, applications from other families who are not eligible for free & reduced lunch, but who are experiencing significant financial hardship, will be considered.
- $10 contribution will be required from families per awarded 1-week scholarship, due with camp registration forms by Monday, May 6th.
- Scholarship funds are limited. If the number of applicants surpasses funds, applicants will be selected randomly in a lottery system with an equal number of scholarships per grade level.
• How do I apply?
Please fill out a scholarship application, which was sent home with all students on Friday, April 5th and return it to the main office at FM or DN schools. If you have questions, please contact:
- Dike-Newell - Gretchen Brinkler, Guidance Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-8285 ext 104
- Fisher Mitchell - Suzanne Paule, Social Worker at email@example.com or 443-8265
The main offices at both schools will have extra copies of applications if you need them
*COMPLETED APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY THE END OF SCHOOL ON FRIDAY, APRIL 12 - no applications will be accepted after this deadline!
• Which camps will be funded by this scholarship program?
The 9 camp programs that will be funded by this program are:
* Bowdoin College Day Camp - Grades K-5, in Brunswick; Weeks of July 1st - August 2nd; full days. http://www.bowdoin.edu/summer-programs/programs/day-camp.shtml
* Kids Down Under Day Camp @ the Universe Gym - Grades K-5, in Bath; Weekly dates beginning June 17th through July; 9am – noon daily. http://theuniversegym.com/childrens-programs
* Bath YMCA Day Camp - Grades K-5; in Bath; Weeks of June 24th - August 16th ; full days. http://www.bathymca.org/html/camp.html
* Bath YMCA Gymnastics Mini-Camp - Grades K-5; in Bath; July 15 - 19 or July 22- 26; Mon, Wed, Fri, 9am – noon. http://www.bathymca.org/html/camp.html
* Bath YMCA Pre-Team Gymnastics Camp – Grades 2-5; in Bath; August 2nd- 6th; Experience necessary; full days. http://www.bathymca.org/html/camp.html
* Bath Recreation Dept. Day Camp - Grades K-5, in Bath; Weeks of June 24th – August 9th; full days. http://www.cityofbath.com/bath_recreation.html
* Bath Recreation Theater Camp - Grades K - 5, in Bath; Week of June 17 - 21 ONLY; full days. http://www.cityofbath.com/bath_recreation.html
* Maine Maritime Kennebec Explorer’s Camp – Grades K – 5, in Bath; June 24 - 28, July 22 - 26, August 12-16, August 26 - 30; full days. http://www.mainemaritimemuseum.org/events/camps/
* Riverview Foundation Day Camp - Grades K - 5, in Topsham; Weeks of June 24 - August 23; full days. http://www.riverviewfoundation.org/blog/news/summer-camp-registration-begins/
Complete details on all of these camps can be found by clicking on the links above. If camp information is not yet available, or if you have further questions about the camps, please contact the camps directly by telephone.
Unfortunately, no transportation is available to or from camps. Please keep this in mind when selecting camp programs for your child, as several are located outside of Bath. Additionally, the Bath Elementary PTA assumed no liability for the camps. Camp waivers will be signed by parents, as part of the registration process.
- Parents will be notified by mail the last week in April.
- Completed camp registration forms and a $10 deposit must then be returned to the schools no later than Monday, May 6th.
- If you do not receive a scholarship award letter from us, we encourage you to contact the participating camp programs to find out if financial aid is available.
*Application deadline: Friday, April 12, 2013 - by the end of school - noon (1/2 day parent conferences)